Radio 1 Blog

Hi. My name is Seth Stevenson and this is my personal blog. My purpose is to keep my friends and family updated about my life. Also this blog gives me an outlet to share my thoughts particuarly on the Bible and theology. Currently I am working in a small radio station in Vancleve, KY. Hope you enjoy, and check in often.

WAR IN GEORGIA!!!



Why should it matter to us about an conflict in an obscure county half- way around the world? I don't know if you have been following this in the news, but I have been following it fairly closely. On the surface this may seem unimportant, but is it should matter to us. Here's why. Russia under the oppressive leadership of Vladimire Putin has been trying to expand and rebuild the old Russian empire for quite some time now. Now it seems he is ready and willing to carry out his ambitions. Not only has is he trying to regain a country that was a part of the old Soviet Union, but he has another good reason for capturing Georgia. A major oil pipeline runs through Georgia to the sea. According to initial reports, Russia was endeavoring to bomb these pipelines event though they were well outside of the disputed area. Russia, I believe, is playing a carefully calculated chess game. They are trying to get all the energy reserves they can lay there hands on, which will allow them to hand an county over the barrel that gets in their way. Either play by our rules or we'll cut your energy supplies. Last month Russia was the sixth biggest exporter of petroleum to the U.S. with over 700 million barrels a day. (http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/petroleum/data_publications/company_level_imports/current/import.html)
Also Russia has been actively working to supply nuclear technology and weapons to Iran for years. Although with seemingly very different motives in mind, this Russia-Iran alliance is beneficial for both countries. Iran need weapons and technology that Russia has; Russia needed quick cash to fund it's expansionistic goals. You can see how maybe this all plays into end time prophecy at www.joelrosenberg.com, even though we don't know how everything plays out in the end. Also I post this video from Georgian President Mikheil Saakasvhii, which gives a good indication about what is happening there now. I hope you'll take time to read it. Whatever happens is in God's hands, but I think it is a good time to pray for the Georgian people in this crisis. Most of all they need to know of God's redemption through salvation.

1 comments:

Johnstown Albertsons said...

Hi Seth,

Thanks for bringing this to your readers attention. I too have been watching this closely. I just read Katrina Randolf's and Dave and Twila Drummond's blogs about it, from their Ukraine perspective. (see the links on our blog if you don't know them).

Thanks,
Rowen